How can I move the ntds.dit file?
The ntds.dit file contains the Active Directory (AD) data for your domain and
is stored in the %systemroot%\ntds folder. This file can become very large. To
improve performance you might want to move this file to a faster drive. To do
so, perform the following steps:
- Restart the domain controller (DC).
- Press F8 at the Startup menu when the system displays the list of OSs.
- Select Directory Services Restore Mode.
- Select the appropriate installation, if more than one exists, and then log
on as an administrator at the logon prompt.
- Start a command prompt (Start, Run, cmd.exe).
- Start the NTDS utility, ntdsutil.exe.
- At the ntdsutil prompt, type "files" as shown below:
- At the file maintenance prompt, type the following:
file maintenance: move DB to
- To view the database, at the file maintenance prompt, type
"info" as shown below:
file maintenance: info
- To verify the integrity of the database at its new location, at the file
maintenance prompt, type "integrity" as shown below:
file maintenance: integrity
- Type "quit" (without the quotation marks) twice to return to a C
- Restart the computer in Normal mode.