You can password-protect your computer to prevent other people from using your system or accessing your work. These instructions are for Windows 98. Other operating systems may differ.
Password-Protect Your Screen Saver
1. From the Start menu, click on Settings, then Control Panel.
2. Double-click on Display. A window will open.
3. Click on the Screen Saver tab.
4. After ensuring that a screen saver is selected in the screen saver box, click to place a dot in the small box beside Password Protect Your Screen Saver.
5. Click on Change. A window will open.
6. Enter the password that you want to use.
7. Enter it again to confirm it.
8. Click OK to leave the password window, then click OK again to apply your settings
Use a password that will be easy for you to remember but difficult for other people to guess. Don't use your last name, your birthday or the word "password." A random combination of both letters and numbers is best.
Password-Protect Your Computer While It Is Asleep
9. From the Start menu, go to Settings, then Control Panel.
10. Double-click on Power Management.
11. Click on the Advanced tab.
12. Click to put a dot in the box that says Prompt for Password.
13. Click OK. Now when your computer comes out of hibernation, you will be prompted to supply the password that is listed in Password Properties.
You can change your password by going to the Start menu, Control Panel, then Passwords.